Image Map

July 20, 2010

Simple Chairback Covers Made From Placemats

When we first moved into our house, I was not sure if I wanted bar stools at the little bar area of the counter. But a friend of mine was having a yard sale and selling these chairs that were her mom's...
I knew  I could breathe some new life in them and decided to paint them white.  I would have left the seats alone but I have too many things already that have that white and wood look so I committed and made them all white.

These chairs are really sturdy but the country look of the back of them is not really the look I am going for.  Since power tools are out, I decided to cover them up a bit.  My first thought was using a kitchen towel or cloth napkin because I was looking for a no sew project.  But they proved to be kind of big until I realized a placemat was a good size to work with.
 I found these at Pier 1 on clearance and since they had the color of my kitchen in them, I grabbed them up.  I also figure I can make a few sets of these if I grow tired of this one.
 I needed to fold it over to give it a clean look and to fit the back of the chair. 
I stitched it closed on the bottom.
 They had this cute ball fringe on them but I had to cut them off on one side for this to work.
Velcro is a delightful invention, is it not?  I used it for my closure since I wanted to be able to remove these easily. I also used it to secure the one side I folded down. I used super duper, stickier than sticky Velcro too. 
At first, I was going to do it like this but I wanted the look to fold over so I changed it to this...
It was fun.  Hope you might be inspired to do something similar.  I will let you know what else I come up.  I have another idea to do this but I have not found the perfect placemat or material yet.
I want to do one like this pillow from Pottery Barn... 
 So ridiculously cute!  
I promise to post it when I do it. I am totally inspired.

Let me know what you think!  Your comments make me happy.  Really.  They do.


Linking to:



http://www.thethriftyhome.com


8 comments:

  1. What a great idea!I really love a no-sew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Gasp!) They look amazing!!! Patra will be so proud!!! hehe... I really do love them and I LOVE the way you decided to place the placemats with the fringe in the middle back. It looks so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing idea! So easy and cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's kinda what I did to my bar stools. Except I recovered the seats instead of being special enough to change the back! That's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very simple cute and creative. I want to be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so fun to watch you creating your new home!!! I can't even imagine all the memories you will make there! Is it feeling like home yet? Hope so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you did with the chairs and covers. Beautiful, Jess!

    ReplyDelete
  8. now I want to buy one of those barstools so I can make a cover for it!! LOL
    Erika

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!